You won’t taste a difference in these ‘veganized’ classic, super fluffy, blueberry buttermilk pancakes! Pancakes are a great breakfast item which are easy and fun to ‘veganize’, and are a perfect stepping stone towards a more compassionate, vegan lifestyle. Nothing feels better than happily cooking up a storm in the kitchen, knowing that I haven’t harmed or stolen any lives to make my food.
This is a similar recipe to the vegan buttermilk pancakes I shared a few months or so ago, with a few improvements that made for a whole 180 on this breakfast favorite! I changed the egg substitute to carbonated water in this recipe (1/4 cup carbonated water = 1 egg) and found it improved the taste and fluffiness SO much. On the road to fluffier pancakes, I improved slightly upon the combining process for a more scrumptious batter. Of course, I also threw in some blueberries because I so love the freshness explosion tucked into the golden batter.
The difference between using coconut oil and vegan butter is slight, but coconut oil is a common substitute for butter. Vegan butter has a thicker more similar consistency to butter, so it more closely mirrors the texture of non-vegan pancakes. This being said, the taste is not noticeably impacted when using coconut oil rather than vegan butter, if anything, it is slightly better for pancakes, with a delicate hint of coconut. I personally enjoy using coconut oil over vegan butter when I can, especially for dessert recipes because it is more natural with cleaner ingredients, more health benefits, and I enjoy the hint of coconut.
Makes: 8 servings – Preparation Time: 5 minutes – Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups any flour (use oat flour for a protein boost/gluten free option!)
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (i use iodized salt to ensure i get enough iodine in my lifestyle)
- 1 tbsp white sugar (can substitute with coconut sugar)
- 1 1/4 cup plant milk (i used oat-milk because it’s creamy)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (can substitute with vegan butter in a 1:1 ratio OR make your own natural vegan butter!)
- 1/4 cup carbonated water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
- Melt the coconut oil (or vegan butter)
- In a medium bowl, whisk plant milk, melted coconut oil/vegan butter, and carbonated water
- Make a well in the center in the dry ingredients bowl and pour the wet ingredients into the well, whisking together to form batter
- Toss the fresh blueberries into the mix and gently fold them into the batter
- Heat coconut oil in a flat pan over medium high heat
- Scoop batter onto pan and cook until both sides are golden brown
- Enjoy with some more blueberries and orange juice if desired!
Tip: To achieve the crispy edges on the pancakes, tilt the pan while pancake has just begun cooking so the oil surrounds the entire circumference of the pancake